11 Dec 2015

big coat weather, again

It's been a while since I did this but I have at last got around to scanning some drawings. I was putting it off partly because I thought I must have built up a massive backlog, but as it turns out there wasn't actually very much at all. I realised that even though I seemed to be drawing and painting constantly the past few months, nearly everything I made was for other people. I suppose that's nice, really.

These big coat girls I drew over a year ago now, just before things started to accelerate towards the end of my degree and I didn't pick up a pencil or sketchbook again until August. They're based on a real-life group of girls I saw outside the library one day. A winter wardrobe coven of swaddled witches.
 What I mainly seemed to have done this year is collect sea glass. I've been lucky to see a lot of beaches and spend a lot of time exploring the Scottish coast. There's a lot of it and I hope to see more next year. I find myself wondering how I ever felt satisfied not living by the sea, but then there are a lot of things I can't really imagine living without anymore.

 Inchkeith Island, under the light of a super moon.

I don't know what to say about this. I had an afternoon to kill and covered a double page of my sketchbook in watercolour triangles. It took no skill, it was done with no finesse, but the sun streamed in all day and there's nothing but good feelings in it.

 This is from just the other day, when I found myself milling around in town and decided to go to what I would have considered a haunt of mine about four years ago. The museum hasn't really changed since I first walked in there at eighteen and it always takes me back to my first year of university, which is no bad thing. They've got this skull of a sperm whale now. I had a dream I saw a sperm whale from my window last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment